Sunday, March 18, 2012

Random rainy afternoon thoughts

Its the day after St. Paddy's, and the tropical world is gloomy and wet. I wish I had managed to mow the lawns last weekend... at the time I thought we were going to have a fine week, and the plan was to mow one afternoon...

Plans of mice and men, etc!

Yesterday we had to go into town, and heard a funny sound coming from the back seat. We turned around to see MacK doing his very best fake snoring impersonation. It was hilarious - but it worked. After a couple of minutes, he was fast asleep. Just wish he would try it at home...

Hello Ladies...!

Last week, Jane had MacK over at the school she works at, and was sitting at the front of reception. One of the students who has downs syndrome came up and started talking to Jane and MacK. When Jane explained that MacK wouldn't respond because he couldn't yet talk, the student immediately started signing as he was speaking. Incredibly thoughtful, and rather insightful too.

I attended a cheese making workshop earlier in the year, and now the the weather is starting to cool a little, I decided the time had come to give it a crack myself. So, yesterday I turned 7 litres of jersey best and 1400mls of cream into a triple cream brie. Or at least the beginnings of a triple cream brie. I now have to let it mature for 2-3 weeks before we can taste it. It would be really nice to have a healthy dose of beginner's luck with this one! After sitting in the basket all night, draining the whey away (sorry, couldn't help it!), the cheese weighs in at a hefty 2.1 kg. Not sure what further weight loss we might expect, but it is a mighty big cheese.




The lemon is the only thing I had close to hand to provide a little size perspective/comparison

 
 MacK and I getting ready for international Pirates' Day... Aaargh!

We also bottled a batch of home brew today. This was the last of the 'extract' brews for me. From now on it is all about all grain, proper beer brewing.


MacK helping me with the brewing. I have to say, it is never too young to learn how to help, and the skills learned are definitely valuable!




1 comment: