Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Trying to catch up!!

So once again life has got away on us - and months have gone by without a spare minute. However, I wrote the following notes when I first got back from Africa at the end of 2019, and though I should post them as a quick attempt at a catch up.

Notes from December 2019...


If you are wondering where we went, rest assured we are still alive and kicking, even if we are a little dry at the moment. I was selected to represent the Army in South Sudan with a United Nations deployment, and have been in Africa for most of the year to date. Those exploits are in another journal that can be read offline – in the old fashioned way!

A (much abbreviated) synopsis of my year to date follows – I was heavily engaged in the first couple of months of the year getting ready to deploy. This included 4WD training, cultural exposure to the machinations of both the United Nations and South Sudan, countless jabs and vaccinations (much needed when travelling to that part of the world!) and plenty of ‘administrivia’.

My entry into Africa was via Entebbe (Uganda), which was a beautiful insight to that continent. I could see why people in the past have lost themselves to the magic of Africa. From there it was a brief 55 minute flight into Juba (South Sudan) – but a trip to the moon (for the differences).
I had the privilege of working with some incredibly professional officers from across the world who will always be friends – and the frustration of dealing with others who were just not interested in the mission. I dealt with officers from 63 different nations, and worked daily with military and civilian personnel from about 40 nations.

I did come home for a week or so in mid July. We travelled to the Gold Coast and stayed in a kids resort. The boys had great fun, and it was wonderful to catch up with many of our SEQLD friends and family. It was hard to leave – but at that point I was almost half way done!  
I was fortunate enough (through proximity) to spend a long weekend in Cairo, and stayed in the Mena House where Grandad spent part of his war. During that trip I also made it to El Alamein, and was able to picture just what that would have been like as a battle ground (tough, in case you’re wondering).

I have been back for a couple of weeks now and am back into some kind of routine. On the family front, Jane has been amazing with the boys through the year. When I left, Hugo was throwing out words – now it is sentences. MacK is a delightful young man, with a sensitive and caring nature that will stand him in good stead as he grows up. I am fortunate to have a beautiful family, and treasure the time I get to spend with them – particularly after so long away.

I had my first visit to the farm last weekend. The landscape is incredibly brittle and in desperate need of  rain (in which we are no different from everywhere west of the dividing range). Fortunately we are not affected by fires (and hope it remains so). Jane has done some great work on the house during the year, and much of the rendering job is complete. We spent the weekend determining what it is we need to do to get the house finished – and recorded a range of FINAL DECISIONS. Apparently that was needed…

The year has crashed through to near completion with an almost undignified haste, and we are planning some time to just sit and be together. For those close enough to join us for a seasonal libation we look forward to sitting with you – if we can’t catch up, then we trust that you also find time to relax with loved ones and reflect on the year that was – and what the coming year might bring… (hopefully some rain in my Santa wish list!).

No comments:

Post a Comment