Friday, January 6, 2012

Tyson - A retrospective

Just before Christmas, we went down to the Sunshine Coast to go to a mate's wedding, and took the time to have a mini-Christmas with my side of the family, as we were to be in Canberra for Christmas.  We had a great time whilst there, and had a couple of great days with family. We had a BBQ 'Christmas', and were joined by the Hayeks and Maddie (Tyson's much better half!). Maddie gave us a bottle of Henschke Kyneton Euphonium to put into the cellar. I wonder if she knew that I once played the Eupho? In any case, we have put a date on it, and will drink it with Maddie and Tyson when the time is right!

We were doing some cleaning up, and I came across a disc of old photographs, from my 21st... It seems like an age ago, but there were a couple in there of Tyson (then six) that are too cute not to share. I thought it also pertinent to share what I wrote for his 21st birthday celebrations. I wasn't able to attend, having just taken the Queen's shilling, and being stuck away in initial cadet training. 

The following is the speech that I sent to be read, and that Tyson kept after the event. See afterwards for the cutest photographs of him!


18 Feb 2008

Dear Tyson

Happy Birthday little (kind of!!) brother! I wish I could be there to spend this day with you – As it is I am probably up to my arse in God-only-knows what kind of shit! As you have a drink, you’d better  have one for me too, as I will have been ‘dry’ for the better part of six weeks – and a beer would be pretty good about now! Enjoy Mum’s tucker too – I reckon I would swap places in an instant if it meant I could give up the ‘rat pack’.

Memories-

About 21½ years ago, I remember sitting as a family around a winter fire in New Zealand. Mum and Dad asking us how we would feel about having another brother or sister. How none of us registered that it wasn’t just a proposition, but an imminent reality!

At the age of fifteen, it was incredibly exciting to have you come into our lives. Watching you play with Harry brings back memories of how you and I played when you were his age.

I bought you your first pair of gumboots – Batman, I think. Nothing really changes – these days it is Spiderman if Harry has any say!

When we first went to Highden, you spent a fair bit of time on your own as the family did everything we could to help set up a new business. Hence, your TV habits were not as closely monitored as they might have been. I don’t think I will ever forget the night you watched a program called “Sex, with Sophie Lee”. That episode featured an expose on prostitution. Your comment, at the age of three – “How come my diddle goes straight when I look at those ladies?” Lucky you weren’t too advanced!

You have always had a strength of character. At four, I remember you coming out to play with me and a friend of mine. We were playing one on one tackle in the mud. We didn’t go easy on you, and you did take a few knocks. In you would run, crying to Mum. I don’t know what she said – maybe the equivalent of “drink some cement and harden up”?, because you kept coming out to play.

We have always had a pretty close relationship, but I wasn’t sure for one moment – when you came home from school with a book you had written called “My Big Ugly Brother”.

Always one for the ladies, from the age of four you could always pull cash tips from them. Must be the curse of that Beauty Spot…

You were always creative, and I think we were all a little amazed when you built your half pipe skate ramp. I reckon that few would believe you if you told them that you built that on your own at ten. Bloody brilliant!

One of my favourite memories is of the time I spent homeschooling you. I don’t know who learned more, but I reckon you could still pull out the names of the world’s longest four rivers and describe the style of floor in the Pantheon in Rome.

I also love pulling out the video of Oliver, and watching the section with just you, Tiff and I. of all the many shows I have done, the opportunity to perform with you was something special.

With performance – you busking at markets, and absolutely enthralling passersby. I remember the guy who accused you of lip-synching to a Robbie Williams CD. You turned off the backing tape, and just sang unaccompanied. He was gobsmacked!

It is so hard to put memories to paper. For every one I put down, another three spring to mind:

·            You becoming a dress up doll for the girls
·            Having a bath in the restaurant dish sink
·            Taking you rabbit shooting
·            Seeing you in your first car – at ten!

The list could go on.

Tys – you are an extraordinary young man, and it has been my privilege to have been able to both watch you grow from a boy into a man, and to be a part of it. You have so many talents, and they will serve you in bringing your dreams to fruition. There is so much that is open to you. Whatever it is that you desire – bring it into your life. You have the ability, and the world truly is your oyster.

As you go about retrieving those things that make up your dreams, remember you have family and friends who love you, and who will support you in every endeavour you get involved in.

And you – I will get you out of the watch house again if I have to!!

Have a fantastic day and night – my thoughts are with you today, and know you can always count on me for support into the future.

Your loving (and maybe ugly) brother, Quentin

No comments:

Post a Comment