Sunday, July 22, 2012

July happenings

What a month so far! The weather up here in the tropics has been nothing short of ridiculous. We are supposed to be dry, and yet we have had the wettest July on record. Today we were cooler than both Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast at 0700. However, it is really quite lovely to be in bed on a sunny Sunday morning at 11 degrees in July...

This month is a lot about MacK, and his continued exponential developments. He seems to have really good coordination, which he has to get from Jane's side, 'cause it certainly didn't come from me! He loves to follow a ball around the yard, just kicking it along. He has a pretty good throwing arm also. Jane watched him with a rugby ball the other day, and thinks she might have to concede that he will play in the front row - he was practicing his lineout throws!

A future 'Picasso' in the making, having fun with Mum

He is developing his words at a rapid rate also. We have had Mum and Dad for a while, and then sounds that we were interpreting as words. Now we definitely have 'Bike', 'Bird', 'Star' and 'More' as well. He has a full range of sounds, now he just needs to start putting them together so we can understand him. I really think that at the moment the problem lies more with us than him. He is giving the best cuddles, and although his kisses are generally open mouth, they are pretty special too.

You can peel the pear next Mum... I am a good helper!

Last week he went into his own 'big' bed, and seems to be sleeping better. Not yet all the way through, but definitely making moves in the right direction. It was so cute the other day to see him walk into our bedroom at 0700 in the morning with a great big smile on his face. 

Right now he is motorbike crazy. He has always waved me off to work in the mornings, and now just loves to sit on the bike, making "vroom, vroom" noises. When I come home I generally sit him on the tank and ride around the yard before riding into the garage. He loves it, and it is a struggle to get him off the bike.

Mack really loves the bike!

Other than MacK news, the month has been a bit of fun, with a few welcome visitors. Melissa came to stay for almost a week, arriving on my birthday. We had a lot of fun, and MacK certainly enjoyed the time with his Godmother. Oh yeah - July is my birth month, and this year was the 40th one of those I have had. We weren't planning on doing anything (I wasn't, but I think Jane always had something up her sleeve), until Melissa planned her arrival to coincide. I then had a call from Dave (my oldest mate, and MacK's Godfather) to say he was going to fly up from Sydney for the day, and that I had better get a couple of bottles of red out of the cellar. We had a great day, with slow braised lamb shanks for dinner, and a cake to represent the farm for dessert. 


Jane and I, with my farm cake!

Catey & Jo McGlinchey, Dave and Melissa celebrating with me

Last week I took a call from Tyson to tell me he was slumming it over on Magnetic Island, and that he would come for dinner one night. It was brilliant, as he hadn't had the chance to meet MacK prior to that point as he has always been away for our visits south.


The other happening of note for the month is that our chickens have had to find a new home. It was a little bit sad, as the crazy girls have really become a part of our household and lifestyle. We can always get more! 





No comments:

Post a Comment