Monday, October 15, 2012

A Spring catch up


To our occasional readers, an apology for the time between entries. Again I am away from home and family on residential courses. Whilst contributing to my professional development, formal education and long term resume prospects, 13 weeks away from the creature comforts of home is a long time.

I am on the homeward stretch now, and look forward to returning to the three dimensional world in the next couple of weeks. Now that MacK is old/cognitive enough to engage with the computer, I have become the quintessential modern day ‘flat pack Dad’ through the wonderful services of Skype. Whilst our schedules don’t always overlap, the opportunities we have had to chat have been magnificent. I have been able to watch my boy change and develop, and it was a wonderful thing to see the first time he pointed to the screen and said “Daddy!”

It is funny that now he is comfortable seeing me there, and is happy to sit and draw and occasionally look up and grin. He will also point to my facial features on the screen and occasionally the screen blurs as he hugs ‘me’ via an envelopment of the computer monitor.

Half of my time away has been in the Gold Coast Hinterland, where I was able to spend a bit of time on Mt Tamborine. If you ever get the chance to climb the Mountain (a hill on any other continent), take it for the views alone. Of course, the artisan cheeses and chocolates are also a good draw…

I am currently in Southern New South Wales, experiencing whatever it is that is the climatic opposite of an Indian Summer. With the limits on luggage allowance and the volume if kit I needed to bring with me, I decided to compromise on cold weather gear. In this instance, compromise means to not pack it. The Gold Coast Hinterland was warm (and I wore none of the cold weather kit I took there), and we are now in mid October. It couldn’t be that cold, could it? If you are following the weather reports for this part of the world, you will have seen the unseasonal snowfalls and lingering effects of Winter.

This last weekend I took a train to Wagga Wagga to see a couple of old friends. We had a really good night at Kapooka. The Army band was playing and they capped the night off with a spectacular rendition of the 1812 Overture, complete with requisite artillery fire. We went four-wheel-driving on Sunday morning and as a consequence I missed my (and the day’s only) train. A road trip was required to get me back to my current abode. Fortunately for Matt, the trip was only 120 km or so each way.

Peter is down in Yarrawonga this week playing golf, and we are aiming to catch up for dinner on Wednesday evening. I did suggest Rutherglen, but it appears that not much is open during weeknights. We will sort something out…

Jane is ‘enjoying’ the buildup to Summer’s humidity, and she assures me that despite being born in the tropics MacK shows no sign of wanting to be there. He is struggling with the increase in humidity and will enjoy our move to Brisbane next year. I have had my return date confirmed, and the course is being shortened by three days. It might not seem a lot, but just the thought of being home!

No comments:

Post a Comment