Friday, November 6, 2009

Chocolate Chilli Tart

I know I promised that we would give you recipes, and I am not going to renege on that!

So- one of my current favourite desserts (and certainly Jane's) is a baked chocolate and chilli tart. The recipe is based on a tart in a book of Nico Ladenis' and it is perfect because a single tart will feed a crowd as the richness means a small sliver is all that is needed.

Jane obviously disagrees with the last statement.....

She is in Canberra at the moment, visiting friends and family, and I am flying down to join her tomorrow. In the interests of maintaining family harmony I have baked a tart as a surprise. Sweetheart- I hope you don't read this before I see you tomorrow!!!



Now- the photo above may not look like much (and I am completely prepared for that to be entirely my lack of photography skills), but I can assure you it is a show-stopper!

The chilli sits on the taste buds, but is masked by the fat in the chocolate. As the chocolate melts, the heat of the chilli slowly fills your mouth with a magical warming heat. Absolutely marvelous! ( Jane's current favourite word).

I haven't accompanied it with anything for the pic- I was tossing up whether to repack this piece, or to reward myself. Sorry honey- I am only travelling with 85% of the tart!

SO- the recipe:

It is incredibly simple. You need to blind bake a sweet pastry case (let me know if you need a recipe for a brilliant sweet pastry). I use a 9 inch tart tin, with a removable base.

When the tart base is cooked, simply pour in the filling, and bake at 180 deg Celsius for ten minutes. Let cool, and slice and serve.

FILLING-

300 gm Dark Chocolate
200 gm Unsalted butter
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
3/4 tspn cayenne powder (or to taste)

Method:
1. Melt the butter and chocolate together, and whisk until smooth
2. Whisk the egg and yolks together until combined.
3. Add the chocolate mix to the eggs, a little at a time to prevent the eggs cooking
4. Beat until smooth
5. Add Cayenne to taste

I have served this with a crushed pistachio ice cream and a compote of rhubarb in the past.  I think just as wonderful would be clotted cream with poached rhubarb and berries.

Have a play, and let me know what you think. Chocolate and Chilli- It really works!

No comments:

Post a Comment