Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Our first post!

Hi all

Welcome to our journey. Jane and I intend to share our journey from now (November 2009, Army, Townsville) to "B'ond"- can't give you a time frame, but it won't be Army, and it won't be Townsville.

It will be our farm- self sufficient, and built on permaculture principles. We will be as self sufficient as we can be. So as well as being a medium to update friends and family, the blog will also be a place to share our learnings, failures and grand successes along the way. Being the 'foodies' that we are, we will also share reviews of places we eat, and recipes of great food we come across.

The letter below is one sent out to friends and family by way of update. Some of the first blogs will be things that we have written in the past, but generally they will be a diary.... Look forward to having you share our journey!!

Quentin & Jane


Hi all

I had thought I would be able to send out an update every 6 months or so. After all, an hour at the computer twice a year is hardly a large ask. However, Life got in the way over the last 15 months or so. I will try to cram 15 months worth of news into this mail to get you up to date. My new grand plan is to then follow this up with a regular blog; where I plan to share thoughts, photographs, experiences and recipes!

I think the last time I wrote anything I was at RMC, and had just finished my first semester there. I spent a further 12 months at the college, and on June 23 of this year, I graduated into the Australian Army as a newly commissioned Lieutenant. Two days later, I had my buck’s party, and was married on June 27th! I realise this may come as a surprise to some, but there truly is someone out there for everyone!

I met Jane in Canberra at a pub called All Bar Nun. It was the 2008 Super 14 grand final between Canberra and the Waratahs. She had called into the pub to watch the game prior to heading out to a friend’s poker match. I had been at another pub with poor reception- so you might say the God’s had a hand in our meeting up! As I found out more about her, I was more impressed. The positives were as follows-
  • Loves rugby (and knows about the game also
  • Drinks beer while watching rugby (pints, no less)
  • Loves food (Italian heritage will do that to you)
  • Has a wine collection, and looking to add to it
 Naturally there were many other positives, but those were just the ones I discovered that night. I could add the kiss, but Jane probably wouldn’t want me saying that!

She had to go after the game, so I kissed her (again) and told her I would call her at 12.30 pm the next day- which I duly did. I asked her out for a coffee (thereby constituting a date) and we agreed to meet up. In addition to the positives as listed above, I found that Jane was a great conversationalist and that we share many similar interests.

To cut the courtship short, I proposed in mid-December with a sapphire and diamond ring, and even managed to surprise Jane with the proposal. During the time I was at RMC, Jane found out what being an Army partner can be like, with me disappearing for weeks at a time on various exercises around the country.

The wedding was absolutely brilliant. We had almost 120 guests at the Royal Canberra Golf Club, and had a marvellous time. I had my brother (Tyson) as best man and brothers in law (Mark and Jason) as groomsmen. We all wore kilts, and wore them proudly too! Our MC was my oldest friend, Dave Kennedy, and he ‘stripped’ to an All Black jumper for Jane.

Earlier in the year, Jane’s family gave me a wallabies scarf, so I returned the favour by presenting Jane with an All Black’s jumper at the reception…. As you can imagine, she was most impressed with that! Most brides spend money on uber-sexy lingerie for their wedding- but not my Jane. She went for the white cotton bonds, with the wallabies logo sewn in; and the garter was themed to the All Blacks.

Anyway, we had a great night, and are slowly churning through our wedding photographs. We will put them online, as soon as possible.


Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment