Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Fruits and flowers

Jane and I celebrated our fourth wedding anniversary in June this year (I have already apologised for the tardiness of posting…) and we wanted to do as we usually do, which is to exchange gifts according to the traditional schedule. The fourth is fruits and flowers, which presented challenges. Short of giving each other fruit trees for the farm, I had no idea where we might go.

Now, every Saturday after MacK's swimming lesson we have coffee at our local cafe. The barista is also a fine artist, and has several pieces featuring flowers on display. I decided to commission an artwork for Jane, even though we had decided that we wouldn't invest in any more art until we had built the house. Our plan was to see what we needed, and then buy it as we found it.

I commissioned a single poppy, as below…


I love the work she has done, and can't wait to see it framed. What was truly astounding that Jane, completely independently, also decided to break the no art edict and commission an original artwork by a friend of ours, the brilliant Selena Smith. As you can see, it is also poppies… Nice to know we are in synch!

What is special about this one is that the backing for the poppies is taken from old Army Catering texts. Yet again, my beautiful wife has gazumped me!


No comments:

Post a Comment