Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Emotions...

Just a brief thought.

I have watched Ladder 49 dozens of times (it is one of MacK's favourite movies), and tonight was the first time I have seen it since returning from Afghanistan. Spoiler alert - the central premise of the film is that the central character is a firefighter who is fighting for his life after a rescue gone bad. The movie is a series of vignettes recalling his life and development as a firefighter.

The film doesn't end well for Jack, with final scenes being of his funeral. It has never hit me at an emotional level before, but tonight I just couldn't hold back the tears. I can only think that I have now seen a couple of ramp ceremonies, one of which is still particularly poignant. We had a situation overseas where there were two (US) brothers in the same platoon, and one was killed in a green on blue attack. The surviving brother held it together during the ramp ceremony, and only broke down in the aircraft that was to take his brother back to family.

I saw him as he exited the aircraft, where he just knelt on the tarmac and cried. His platoon mates surrounded him, to protect and comfort him. Not a lot of dry eyes on the flight line for that one.

I can only think when watching that scene that I have a limited appreciation of what a family might go through when a perfectly fit and healthy son or daughter is suddenly taken.

Now if you will excuse me, I will indulge by way of a little reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment